Building Controls Virtual Test Bed 1.1 released
Posted by Linda Lawrie on 02 February 2012 05:01 PM
We are pleased to announce the release of the Building Controls Virtual Test Bed 1.1|
The following changes have been made compared to version 1.0:
* The example files have been updated for EnergyPlus 7.0.
* An actor has been added that allows reading CSV files.
* The BCVTB has also been compiled for Windows 64 bit (in addition to Windows 32 bit, Linux 32/64 bit and Mac OS X 64 bit).
The Building Controls Virtual Test Bed (BCVTB) is a freely available open-source software environment that allows expert users to couple different simulation programs for co-simulation, and to couple simulation programs with actual hardware. For example, the BCVTB allows to simulate a building in EnergyPlus and the HVAC and control system in Modelica, while exchanging data between the software as they simulate. The BCVTB is based on the Ptolemy II software environment. The BCVTB allows expert users of simulation to expand the capabilities of individual programs by linking them to other programs. Due to the different programs that may be involved in distributed simulation, familiarity with configuring programs is essential.
Programs that are linked to the BCVTB are
* the EnergyPlus whole building energy simulation program,
* the Modelica modeling and simulation environment Dymola,
* the MATLAB and Simulink tools for scientific computing,
* the Radiance ray-tracing software for lighting analysis,
* the BACnet stack, which allows exchanging data with BACnet compliant Building Automation System (BAS),
* the analog/digital interface USB-1208LS from Measurement Computing Corporation that can be connected to a USB port.
In addition to using programs that are coupled to Ptolemy II, Ptolemy II's graphical modeling environment can also be used to define models for control systems, for physical devices, for communication systems or for post-processing and real-time visualization.
For free download and more information, please visit